Picture this….. It’s 5.30am on a Sunday, you’ve woken up naturally to the sound of the dawn chorus, meditated and now you have your runners laced up, ready to set off for a run.
That was me this morning …. ‘Are you crazy!’ part of me was saying……’what happened to the Sunday lie in, like ‘normal people’ cos hey it’s not as if you’re training for anything….’
But here’s the thing, it gets crazy hot in Queensland if you exercise later in the day, and I love nothing more than finishing my exercise by 8am in the morning feeling energised with the whole day ahead of me still.
Are you the same?
My intention was only to run about 10km (5km out and back from home) as I felt I was still ‘building up’ the mileage back in my legs, after an extended break last year.
So I set off after I drank a glass of water.
On passing the 5km mark, I made the decision to carry on going as I was feeling OK and the ocean views along the coastal path were stunning.
However as the temperature rose I started to get thirsty with no water fountains in sight, I wished I had turned back earlier. But decided to push on to the next town as I reckoned I was only about 2km from it and could get a drink there.
Yep you guessed it, it was further than I thought and at this point I was close to 9km…. and still had to get back.
And here’s the thing I learnt from this run, as the magic happens when you step outside your comfort zone.
- Where there’s a will, there’s always a way
- I discovered where the water fountains are in the next town, to coordinate water breaks on my next run
- I discovered an awesome new cafe to come back to for brekkie next week. (the waiter gave me 2 glasses of water)
- I completed 19km before breakfast with only drinking 3 glasses of water (crazy – yep maybe, worth it – you betcha)
- You can ALWAYS run another 5km
- Spectacular scenery on my run, watching the sun rise over the ocean kept me going
- Break up the run back with walking breaks
- It’s amazing what you can achieve when you put your mind to it
So wherever you are in your life and your running, I encourage you today to step outside the ‘norm’ and your comfort zone, and watch the magic unfold in your life.
I’m sure you’ll be amazed at what you tackle and achieve today outside your comfort zone. Give it a go.
Wish It … Dream It … Do It!
P.S. If you want support in achieving your goals – check out the FREE 21 Day ”Make it Happen Challenge” here